Topic of the meeting: Gender Mainstreaming and the LGBTQI+ community
Accept LGBT Cyprus and Queer Cyprus Association are organising the Rainbow Meetings (in English) at the Buffer Zone. By this we are hoping that the LGBTI communities of the whole island will be also given the opportunity to begin a dialogue and develop ideas between them in a safe and convenient space for all.
Nicosia: Every 2nd Tuesday of the month, at 18:30, at the premises of the Home for Cooperation, 28 Marcou Dracou Street, Nicosia, 1102, Cyprus (Buffer Zone)
*If you are an LBGTI person living in Cyprus (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Intersex), either a Greek Cypriot, a Turkish Cypriot, a foreigner, an activist, a student, a refugee, an asylum seeker, an ally or just a visitor and would like to share your experiences with other people, come join us.
*The discussions are in English and participation is free of charge
All coordinators are volunteers with previous experience in group coordination and familiar with LGBTI issues.
*Please respect the arrival time.
*The Rainbow Meetings in English are organised by Accept-LGBT Cyprus and Queer Cyprus Association.
The main purpose is to give the opportunity to (English speaking) LGBTI people, their friends & allies, to discuss in a safe and confidential environment, various LGBTI issues they have to deal with (eg coming out).
The Rainbow Meetings are coordinated by one or two volunteers who make sure that the discussion remains in the appropriate context and ensure that all participants feel comfortable and safe within the group.
Entrance is free (no pre-booking is requested), real names are not required and you do not have to be a member of any organisation in order to attend.
At a Rainbow Meeting you can meet new people, make new friends and see how other LGBTI people deal with similar issues that may also concern you.
Under the new format of the meetings, a general topic shall be presented before the group and the discussion that ensues shall revolve around that specific topic. Of course, deviations to other topics are always welcome.
1. The Rainbow Meetings are confidential. Anything said in the group stays in the group. Outside of the meeting, you can not refer the content of the meeting, to the people participating in the group, nor mention details that characterize individuals participating in the group.
2. Each person gives a name by which they wish to be called by the group members.
3. Speaking during the meeting is not compulsory if you do not feel like it. You can just follow the conversation.
4. We show respect to all members of the group.
• Allow the person to complete what they are saying before expressing our own opinion.
• Each person has the right to their own opinion. If you disagree, you will have the opportunity to express your own arguments.
• We communicate without using any form of violence (verbal, psychological, physical).
• Do not intimidate people by disagreeing with the person who expressed an opinion different to yours. We would rather you refer to “what has been said”, instead.
5. Each participant speaks based on their own experience without generalizing and without sharing details reported by any other person.
6. Mobile phones are on ‘silent mode’ to avoid distractions.
7. Minors who want to participate must present a signed parental/tutelary consent form (please e-mail email@example.com to ask for a parental consent form in electronic format)
++ There is a list of referrals for individuals who require assistance / support. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the list electronically in PDF format ++
Date: 11 December, Tuesday
location: Home for Cooperation