Why the Elephant in the Room?
“Elephant In the Room is a metaphorical idiom for an obvious truth that is either being ignored or going unaddressed”.
Unspoken is a project which aims to strengthen the dialogue in the northern part of Cyprus on issues regarding Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex (LGBTI) rights. The two-year project is supported by the European Union under “Cypriot Civil Society in Action Program” and is being implemented by the Cyprus Community Media Centre in collaboration with Thomson Foundation and Queer Cyprus Association.
How will the “Elephant in the Room” get noticed?
The goal of the Unspoken Project is to increase LGBTI awareness in a variety of fields including media, education, law and health. In order to counter discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, to increase LGBTI visibility in media and to open the issue to public debate, the following activities will be organized within the scope of this project:
- Survey studies focusing on the Turkish Cypriot community’s attitudes towards LGBTI
- Seminars to increase LGBTI awareness in various fields
- Informative billboards which will be placed in a few cities and public service ads to ensure visibility
- Trainings organized to counter discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity also experienced by LGBTI individuals
- Resources and a guideline booklet for LGBTI awareness in media
- Media monitoring
- Round table discussions for editors
- Training sessions for journalists
- Capacity building workshops and peer trainings for the LGBTI community
- International conference on LGBTI equality, awareness, safety and politics
Cyprus Community Media Centre (CCMC) is a registered non-profit organization which supports local community associations and community groups, enabling them to reach larger audiences. It provides support with its trainings, custom production support, equipment and studios equipped with cutting-edge technology. CCMC provides individuals the necessities to control their own message and by doing so promotes the advantages of community-oriented media.
For more information: www.cypruscommunitymedia.org
About Queer Cyprus Association:
Queer Cyprus Association is a civil society movement conducting work to counter discrimination based on gender, gender expression, sexual orientation and gender identity. Queer Cyprus is an active organization aiming to support LGBTI rights in a variety of fields including law, education and psychology.
For more information: https://www.facebook.com/queercyprus
About Thomson Foundation:
Thomson Foundation is the first international media development organization training journalists on ethical standards and quality news production for over half a century. TF works with media organizations, governments, civil society organizations and commercial presence which strive for professional success.
For more information: https://www.thomsonfoundation.org