The 2019 European Parliament elections come in an increasingly polarized social and political climate. The very core values and standards upon which the EU was founded – respect for human dignity and human rights, freedom, democracy, equality and the rule of law – are being called into question and human rights, in particular the human rights of LGBTI+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Intersex, and Plus) people, are facing a forceful challenge.
Queer Cyprus Association called on European Parliament Candidates to sign LGBTI + Friendly Candidate Pledge in Mid-April for the upcoming European Parliament election. LGBTI + Friendly Candidate Pledge was today signed by `Niyazi Kızılyürek (AKEL)’ as well.
Queer Cyprus Association (QCA), under ILGA Europe carried out a campaign asking candidates to pledge to stand up for the human rights and equality for all LGBTI+ people in the European Union and beyond, and will do so by working to:
- Strengthen protection in EU law and policy,
- Ensure an enabling environment for LGBTI+ human rights defenders,
- Be an ally to underrepresented voices,
- Ensure EU leadership on LGBTI+ rights, and
- Harnessing the power of the their position to advance the human rights of LGBTI+ people.